Saturday, April 7, 2018

Star Wars Episode I Racer review

Star Wars Episode I Racer Review
Episode 1 racer is a podracing game themed around The Phantom Menace and release in 1999 on the Nintendo 64. I just happened to find this lying around my house, and considered that since I'm a star wars fan and a gamer, I would play it and review it.
The gameplay is that of a racing game, but with different mechanics to fit the podracing style. The controls adjust thrusters and other parts of the pod and the speed says you are going up to 400 of whatever unit star wars uses and it really seems like it. The main game mode is tournament, a racing mode were you upgrade your pod and race through the levels to unlock new ones. A quick side-note, while Tatooine is remote and the only big recognizable track, there are other awesome environments, like Malastare, which is my favorite. The other single player racing modes are free play, just free racing and time trials in which you try to get good times to reach goals. Then 2 player, which can be fun and maybe the best purpose of the game. Although it could've done 4 player.
The racers are good, Anakin is probably the best considering he is the default and most programmed for. I did notice Sebulba was absent at least at the start which is a shame. And if you're worried and dislike him, for one your silly and two, no Jar Jar Binks is not a racer. Though he and Qui-Gon cameo in the background. There are a wide range of pods and customizations and a good buying system from Watto.
The music in Episode 1 racer is fly. They got Duel of the fates on the title screen and tons of cool transition music. But the best part is while you're racing the music is just the podracing sounds which shows how good the sound design team was on the movie and game. Even though the physics of podracing and controls are great, some mechanics like jumping and landing aren't as much. Other than that really this game is really positive in my opinion, it can be frustrating at times and isn't the best racing game, but holds up as a great Star Wars game. And between you and me I don't think EA can top this. So to finish Episode 1 racer is a great fast-paced pod-racer with awesome environments, and a memorable game. I rate it 8.7/10.
Now stay connected and excuse me while I go mod Jar Jar's character model into the game.

1 comment: