Saturday, April 14, 2018

Animal Man: The Hunt Impression

Animal Man: The Hunt Impression
Animal Man volume 1 is a 2012 comic from DC in the new 52 line, written by Jeff Lemire (Moon Knight) and art by Travel Foreman (Immortal Iron Fist.)
It is about Buddy Baker, a superhero publicly known as Animal Man and like it sounds, he has animal-related superpowers. The plot revolves around him and his family traveling to a group of evil animals. His daughter has advanced animal powers, so the evil animals want to posses her and the rest of the family.  All of this causes Animal Man to struggle with his powers. The only thing that I do not like about this volume is that it sometimes can be predictable and use cliches and such. Like having an overpowered superhero kid, that's been done before. But, other than that it is really great and creative. Which is why I wanted to review it. I had read Lemire's Moon Knight run and loved that. It is very similar in it's creative style and tone. It's kind horror-ish, while still being in the superhero genre. The art by Foreman is great and he even switches it up for a portion of the last issue. I can't say to much for fear of spoilers, but I can say that Animal Man: The Hunt is a great comic and I want to read more. You don't have to have a background in the character to read it. I never read anything of Animal Man before this and I really enjoyed the book.
The series does connect with Swamp Thing after this volume though and that seems like a great connection to make. Overall Animal Man is a creative, wonderfully written and, excellently drawn comic. Shamefully I must give it the same score as IGN, 9/10. I would highly recommend this as well as Jeff Lemire's other work, I have not read anything else drawn by Foreman, but I look forward to doing so. This is just a short First Impression/ Review, tell me if you liked it and stay connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment